A sketch plan is an illustrative plan or model that shows the maximum densities for residential and non-residential development, including building massing and height, locations of public use and other spaces, and the relationship to existing and proposed buildings and properties. A Sketch Plan is required for optional methods of development and is intended to provide circulation patterns and description of the public benefits proposed and incentive densities requested, as well as the phasing of the development and public benefits.
Forest Conservation Law does not need to be satisfied before submitting a Sketch Plan.
Development Review Committee (DRC):
Sketch Plans go to DRC.
The Planning Board approves the Sketch Plan prior to Preliminary Plan and Site Plan review.
Sketch Plan fees vary by project specifications. Consult page 4 of our fee schedule to determine fee.
Planning Board Hearing must take place within 90 days of intake acceptance.
Sketch Plans may be amended. Before submitting an application, applicants must meet with planning staff and receive an amendment checklist that outlines the required submission items.
Fill out this application form and email the PDF to APPLY@montgomeryplanning.org. Once our team has received the application and entered it into our system, the primary contact listed on the application form will be asked to upload files to ePlans.
- Regulatory Review Extension Request Application Form
- Moderately Priced Dwelling Units (MPDU) Summary
Guides and Tools
- Amendment Tools
- HOAs and Civic Associations Generator
- Administrative Procedures for Development Review
- Local Area Transportation Review (LATR) and Transportation Policy Area Review (TPAR) Guidelines
- Traffic Study Scoping Form
- How to Participate Effectively in the Development Review Process Brochure
- ePlans Applicant User Guide
- See the Montgomery County Department of Transportation’s Development Review page for their development review application.