Preliminary Plans show how a property or set of properties will be subdivided or resubdivided, based on the regulations found in Chapter 50 of the Montgomery County Code.¬† At the time of Preliminary Plan, an Adequate Public Facilities finding is made to determine whether the existing transportation and school networks can handle the intensity and types of uses proposed.
Before submitting a Preliminary Plan, a Natural Resources Inventory (NRI) or Forest Conservation Plan¬†Exemption (FCPE) must be approved.¬† In cases where an FCP Exemption has not been confirmed, a Forest Conservation Plan must be submitted as part of either the Preliminary Plan or an associated Site Plan.
Development Review Committee (DRC):
Preliminary Plans go to DRC.
Preliminary Plans are reviewed¬†by staff and submitted for action (approval or disapproval) by the Montgomery County Planning Board. Board approval of the plan is necessary prior to preparation of a record plat.
Preliminary Plan fees vary by project specifications.¬† Consult page 2 of our fee schedule to determine fee.
Planning Board Hearing must take place within 120 days of intake acceptance.
Preliminary Plans may be amended.¬† Before submitting an application, applicants must meet with planning staff and receive an amendment checklist that outlines the required submission items.
Complete the following steps:
- Fill out an¬†online application. Enter basic plan information, such as applicant name and property address, found on the traditional application form.
- ePlans:¬†After applying, log into¬†ePlans¬†and upload documents and drawings. ePlans will generate emails to applicants prompting when to pay fees, what revisions are requested, when Development Review Committee and Planning Board dates are scheduled, when to upload or download documents, etc.
- Regulatory Review Extension Request Application Form
- Subdivision Regulation Waiver Request Application Form
- Subdivision Regulation Waiver Request Requirements
- Adequate Public Facilities/Plan Validity Extension Request Form
- DOT Storm Drain Checklist
Guides and Tools
- Amendment Tools
- HOAs and Civic Associations Generator
- Administrative Procedures for Development Review
- Local Area Transportation Review (LATR) and Transportation Policy Area Review (TPAR) Guidelines
- Traffic Study Scoping Form
- How to Participate Effectively in the Development Review Process Brochure
- ePlans Applicant User Guide
- Combined Preliminary and Site Plan Application Guide
- See the Montgomery County Department of Transportation‚Äôs¬†Development Review¬†page for their development review application.