Mandatory Referrals are plans submitted by government agencies for a variety of development activities including road improvements, public school projects, and any other¬†government-owned property development.
Mandatory Referrals must address forest conservation law when submitted for a property larger than 40,000 sf and/or for more than 5,000 sf of proposed cutting, clearing, or grading.¬† For Mandatory Referrals proposing less than 5,000 sf of disturbance on properties smaller than 40,000 sf, forest conservation law does not apply.
Development Review Committee (DRC):
Mandatory Referrals do not go to DRC.
The Planning Department does not formally approve or deny Mandatory Referrals.¬† Instead, they provide a recommendation to the applying agency either administratively or at a Planning Board hearing.
Mandatory Referrals are free because they are submitted by government agencies.
Must be acted upon within 60 days.
Mandatory Referrals may not be amended.¬† You may only change the results of a Mandatory Referral with a new Mandatory Referral application.
Fill out this application form and email the PDF to APPLY@montgomeryplanning.org.¬† Once our team has received the application and entered it into our system, the primary contact listed on the application form will be asked to upload files to ePlans.
Guides and Tools
- Uniform Standards for Mandatory Referral Review
- HOAs and Civic Associations Generator
- Administrative Procedures for Development Review
- Local Area Transportation Review (LATR) and Transportation Policy Area Review (TPAR) Guidelines
- Traffic Study Scoping Form
- How to Participate Effectively in the Development Review Process Brochure
- ePlans Applicant User Guide
- See the Montgomery County Department of Transportation‚Äôs¬†Development Review¬†page for their development review application.