Mission of the Montgomery County Planning Department
Planning Department Mission
To improve quality of life in Montgomery County by planning the natural and built environments for current and future generations.
Planning Department Goals
- Plan great walkable communities that are vibrant, livable, accessible and sustainable. This includes
- Focusing on public amenities and the public realm of streets, plazas and open spaces.
- Considering how people experience spaces and placemaking opportunities.
- Conserving and enhancing existing neighborhoods and historic places.
- Balance infrastructure and growth as the County population increases and unconstrained land for development decreases.
- Offer holistic, well-researched recommendations for plans and regulations that are non-political and based on the best national and regional precedents.
- Engage all stakeholders to develop better-informed plans.
- Advance the field of planning and be recognized as a regional and national leader in all facets of planning.
- Manage the County’s natural resources and direct viable growth that:
- Reduces auto dependency.
- Improves environmental quality by protecting waterways and the natural and built environment.
- Preserves, enhances and expands green space for current and future generations.
- Increases connectivity through all modes of well-considered transportation.
- Ensures the highest quality of buildings, landscapes and streetscapes that reflect design excellence.
- Establishes affordability in all communities.
- Strengthen economic competitiveness to help attract new residents and businesses to Montgomery County.
- Create and increase trust in the Planning Department to gain community support for plans and appropriate resources from the County government.
Last Updated: December 4, 2018