NRI/FSD and FCP Exemption
Natural Resource Inventory/Forest Conservation Plan Exemption
Natural Resource Inventory/Forest Stand Delineations (NRI/FSDs) and Forest Conservation Plan Exemptions (FCPEs) are intended to document and map the locations of all existing environmental on-site features, including but not limited to topography, wetlands, floodplains, streams, and specimen trees.
The difference between an NRI/FSD and an FCP Exemption is the way the plans are used in our planning process.¬† NRI/FSDs must be approved before a Forest Conservation Plan application can be submitted.¬† FCP Exemptions, once confirmed, exempt the applicant from having to submit a Forest Conservation Plan as part of future applications.¬† For FCP Exemptions, applicants must identify which section of Forest Conservation Law 22-5A they believe they are exempt under.
For both NRI/FSDs and FCP Exemptions there are three possible levels of detail required:
Full NRI/FSDs:¬† Required where forest exists on the property and is impacted by the proposed activity.¬† Full NRI/FSDs must include a forest stand delineation and thorough description of the forest characteristics.
Simplified NRI:¬† Appropriate where no forest exists on the property, and therefore does not need to include a forest stand delineation or description of forest characteristics.
Existing Conditions Plan:¬† Simplified plan showing only basic site details in addition to extent of disturbance proposed.¬† Applicants must receive permission from Montgomery Planning Staff to submit an Existing Conditions Plan.
NRI/FSDs must be approved before applicants can submit a Forest Conservation Plan.¬† FCP Exemptions, once confirmed, exempt applicants from needing to submit an FCP with future applications.
Development Review Committee (DRC):
NRI/FSDs and FCP Exemptions do not go to DRC.
NRI/FSDs are approved or denied by area team environmental reviewers.¬† FCP Exemptions are confirmed or denied by Development Applications and Regulatory Coordination (DARC) forest conservation inspectors.
FCP Exemptions:¬† $200
Applications are approved or denied within 30 days of intake acceptance.
NRI/FSDs and FCP Exemptions may not be amended.¬† You may only change the results of a NRI or FCP Exemption with a new plan.
Fill out this application form and email the PDF to APPLY@montgomeryplanning.org.¬†¬†Once our team has received the application and entered it into our system, the primary contact listed on the application form will be asked to upload files to ePlans.
- NRI/FSDs and FCP Exemptions – Upload Checklist
- NRI/FSDs and FCP Exemptions – Application Form
- Fee Schedule and Worksheet
- Declarations of Intent
- Root-pruning Detail
- Tree Protection Fence Detail
- Permanent FC Easement Signage Detail
- Inspection Schedule Detail
- Forest Conservation Sequence of Events
- Forest Conservation Signs
Guides and Tools
- ePlans Applicant User Guide
- Forest Conservation Law
- Forest Conservation Tree Regulations
- Land Use Categories and Thresholds
- Trees¬†Technical Manual
- Montgomery County Environmental Guidelines
- Flow Charts for applicable Forest Conservation provisions
- Forest Conservation Financial Securities
- Payment in Lieu of Forest Planting
- Category I Easement Agreement Template
- Category II Easement Agreement Template
- FC Law Applicability for Conditional Uses
- FC Law Applicability for Pre-July 1991 Plans
- FC Law Applicability – S Exemption
- FC Law Applicability – T Exemption
- Forest Conservation Bank Submission Requirements