MARC Rail Communities Plan
MARC Rail Communities Plan
The MARC Rail Communities Sector Plan was approved on April 30, 2019 by the Montgomery County Council. The Plan looks to the future by offering recommendations that support and better utilize existing transit assets, improve transportation connections and traffic safety in both station areas. In addition, the Plan proposes ways to revitalize the built environment around the Boyds and Germantown stations in a manner that appropriately complements surrounding residential neighborhoods and historic resources.
At the same time, the MARC Rail Communities Plan is a preservation strategy that aims to protect and enhance valued historic rural character and resources in both Boyds and Germantown.
The MARC Rail Communities Plan builds on the recommendations of the previous 1985 Boyds Master Plan, the 1989 Germantown Master Plan and the 2009 Germantown Employment Area Sector Plan, and examines in greater detail the land uses, zoning, design and multimodal access to the two MARC stations. Specifically, this limited Master Plan:
- Determines the appropriate land uses and densities at sites near each station.
- Provides recommendations to improve multimodal access and safety in each station area (using information gathered during the Master Plan of Highways and Transitways and the Bicycle Master Plan to help inform the access portion of this plan).
- Considers other concerns raised during the planning process (i.e. parking).
News and Events
April 30, 2019: The MARC Rail Communities Sector Plan was approved by the Montgomery County Council. View the approved and adopted plan.
December 20, 2018: The Planning Board approved the Planning Board Draft plan and transmitted it to County Council. View the Planning Board Draft and the Draft Appendices.
June 21, 2018: Planning Board work session #4: Germantown Connect Section Recommendations. View the staff report.
May 31, 2018: MCDOT Middlebrook Road PRSA briefing.
May 31, 2018: Planning Board work session #3: MTA/MCDOT Briefing. View the MTA presentation and the staff report.
May 24, 2018: Planning Board work session #2: Boyds. View the presentation and staff report.
April 5, 2018: Planning Board work session #1: Planning Context. View the presentation and staff report.
February 1, 2018: Watch video of meeting; listen to audio recording of the meeting held at Black Rock Center for the Arts on Thursday, February 1 at 7 p.m.
December 21, 2017: The team presented the working draft of the MARC Rail Communities Sector Plan to the Planning Board. View the presentation, the staff report and Working Draft.
Public Hearing Draft:
MARC Rail Communities Sector Plan Public Hearing Draft
Public Hearing Appendices:
- Boyds MARC Station Concept Study, Montgomery County Department of Transportation
- Boyds MD 117 Crossing Study Evaluation
- Transportation Analysis including the Germantown Road Diet
- Urban Land Institute Washington Leadership Institute Mini-Technical Assistance Panel
- Historic Preservation
- “Strategies for Maintaining Historic Character,” excerpt from Vision of Boyds: A Long-Range Preservation Plan
- Policy for Parks
- Middlebrook Road Pedestrian Road Safety Audit