Principles of the Initiative
- Generate a higher awareness of those qualities constituting great design.
- Inspire higher public benefit through the Commercial/Residential incentive density implementation program.
- Recognize and display the best examples of environmental stewardship and sustainability in our County.
- Share inspiration and knowledge through this website and The Third Place blog.
- Talks by staff and outside experts about Design Excellence and recognized precedents.
- Curated photo library with realistic, inspirational examples for use in community discussions, master plans, design guidelines and regulatory reviews.
- Recognize design excellence in the County through an annual Design Award program.
- Improving design guidelines with clear, predictable and fair goals and objectives, through high-quality precedent images and graphics.
- Improving communication and clarity through increased use of three-dimensional design and modeling tools and graphics.
- Gallery on website of successful sustainability and well-designed projects within the region.
- Development oversight, support and recommendations from a new Directorâ€™s Design Advisory Panel.
- Developer support from staff trained in best practices in architectural design, urban design, landscape design and regulatory review.
- Further implementation of a Concept Design Review process prior to Sketch Plan Review.
- Coordination with public agencies and municipalities to generate a singular voice and messaging on the importance of design excellence throughout the County.
- Improving zoning density incentives to encourage better design and public benefits.
Last Updated: April 19, 2019