Publications and Resources
Publications and Resources
Historic Preservation Ordinance
- Chapter 24A (pdf) of the County Code.
Montgomery Modern: Modern Architecture In Montgomery County, Maryland, 1930â€“1979 is a chronicle of mid-century modern architecture in Montgomery County. This illustrated reference guide includes an inventory of key buildings and communities, and biographical sketches of practitioners including architects, landscape architects, planners and developers.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission has published a book that inventories historic sites and districts in Montgomery County. Places from the Past: The Tradition of Gardez Bien in Montgomery County, Maryland is beautifully illustrated with photographs, architectural drawings and maps.
Chevy Chase: A Home Suburb for the Nation’s Capital documents the fascinating history of Francis Newlands’ vision and chronicles evolving trends in American domestic architecture and society throughout this century. An in-depth look at this model community offers a greater understanding of the factors that contributed to this successful suburban development. This richly illustrated narrative heightens our appreciation of the importance to our national culture of the suburban ideal.
- Teardown/Mansionization Bulletin: Protecting Older Neighborhoods with Newer Tools*Â (August 2006)
Includes information on traditional historic districts, overlay zones, architectural covenants, neighborhood conservation districts, improving builder/resident communication, legislative initiatives and a map of teardowns.
- A Strategic Plan for Cultural Resources in ParksÂ (January 2006)
Includes information on the vision for these cultural resources, the Commissionâ€™s history of stewardship, existing conditions, the future, costs and programming opportunities.
- From Artifact to Attraction: A Strategic Plan for Cultural Resources in Parks (January 2006)
- Historic Context Report: â€śA Harvest in the Open for Saving Soulsâ€ť â€“ The Camp Meetings of Montgomery CountyÂ (July 2004)
- Brookdale Research form 2006
- MIHP â€“ 35/13 Chevy Chase Survey District â€“ Phase II
- Chevy Chase Survey District (Phase II)
- The Quaker Presence in Montgomery County, Maryland
National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form, Kimberly Prothro Williams, 1999
The Preservationist newsletter was published quarterly and it reported on historic preservation topics, events, and programs across Montgomery County.
Ride MontgomeryÂ County’sÂ History: A 30-mile bicycle loop that starts and ends at Dillingham Park in PoolesvilleÂ and includes stops at historic structures.
Montgomery Modern Bus Tours: Download guidebooks and watch videos of past years’ tours.
Montgomery Parks’ archaeology program identifies, manages, and interprets archaeological sites on parkland.