Historic Area Work Permits
Historic Area Work Permit (HAWP)
All applications for proposed exterior work involving properties listed on the Montgomery County Master Plan for Historic Preservation, either as individual historic sites or as properties within a historic district, require the approval of the Montgomery County Historic Preservation Commission (HPC).
The HPC, staffed by historic preservation planners, reviews proposals for new construction, demolition, and exterior alterations through the mechanism of the Historic Area Work Permit (HAWP) process.
You are encouraged to discuss proposals for major work with the staff in advance of filing a HAWP. For information or to make an appointment, please contact staff at 301-563-3400 or email.
Work requiring a HAWP includes but is not limited to the following:
- New Construction
- Grading and removing live trees greater than six inches in diameter
- Removing or enclosing porches
- Installing siding, shingle or masonry facing or other changes to exterior materials
- Replacing a window sash with a new sash
- Permanently removing shutters
- Adding, removing or changing architectural features, including size, shape and placement of windows
- Painting or removing paint from masonry
Other changes to historic properties or sites that do not require HPC involvement are:
- Interior work
- Gardening and landscaping
- Customary farming operations
- Ordinary exterior maintenance (painting non-masonry surfaces, roof repairs, gutters, trim, lights, etc.) with materials and design matchng what is already in place
- Paving repairs with matching materials and performing general maintenance as long as the work does not alter exterior features
|Step 1||Does your property require a Historic Area Work Permit?|
|Step 2||Does your proposed work require a Historic Area Work Permit?|
|Step 3||Filing the Historic Area Work Permit Application Form|
|Step 4||Consideration of your application by the Historic Preservation Commission|
REMINDER: Some local governments may need to review your proposed changes before you apply for a HAWP including, but not limited to, Brookeville, Chevy Chase Village,Â Garrett Park, Kensington, and Takoma Park. If applicable, please check with your municipality before applying for a HAWP.