White Flint in the News
- Pike & Rose won the Award of Excellence for a Planning Project from the American Planning Association (APA), County Planning Division, and its sister organization, the National Association of County Planning. (NACP). https://www.planning.org/divisions/countyplanning/awards/
- The White Flint Implementation and Collaboration program has been selected for a 2013 National Association of Counties (NACo) Achievement Award. The Award recognizes innovative county government programs and provides examples of “best practices” from counties across the nation.
- Listen to the December 2011 National Public Radio piece, “Maryland County Rethinks the Shopping Mall,” featuring an interview with former Planning Director Rollin Stanley
- Read the October 2011 Planning Magazine story, The Upsizing of White Flint
White Flint Tax District
The County Council approved the establishment of a Special Taxing District for the White Flint Sector Plan area. The tax district is authorized to levy an ad valorem property tax to fund some transportation infrastructure improvements. Download the approved legislation (Bill 50-10 (pdf)) and Implementation Strategy and Infrastructure Improvement (Resolution 16-1570 [PDF] (pdf)).
To jump start development, the County Council has approved a Planning Board-recommended financing plan that would set up a special tax district for property owners. Diane Schwartz Jones, assistant chief administrative officer with the County Executive’s office, and Jacob Sesker, economic planner with the Planning Department, explain in this clip from Montgomery Plans.
White Flint Master Plan on “Montgomery Plans”
Commercial Residential Zone
Most of the White Flint Sector Plan area is in the CR zone. The zone requires the establishment of CR guidelines that detail the standards and requirements for public benefits. View the Incentive Density Guidelines.
- Draft Commercial Residential District and staff report
- Examples of Existing Buildings in the White Flint Area
- Proposed TMX Zoning Text Amendment
- Transferable Development Rights (TDR) Program
- GIS Data for White Flint
- Estimated Land Use and Trip Generation for Selected Alternative Scenarios Evaluated
- White Flint Economic Analysis (2008)