Site of One of Montgomery County’s Oldest Grist Mills to Receive Historic Marker

September 28, 2005

SILVER SPRING, MD — The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) invites the public to join Commissioner John Robinson and the historic preservation staff to dedicate a historic marker for the site of Davis Mill, one of Montgomery County’s oldest grist mills, Saturday, October 15 at 3 p.m.

A key part of the agricultural economy in the 18th and 19th centuries, grist mills ground wheat and corn into flour and meal for local farmers.

Located along the Seneca Greenway Trail at the intersection of Davis Mill and Huntmaster Roads in Goshen, Maryland, the historic site includes the foundation of the water-powered grist mill built in 1783.

Parking will be available near the site. In addition, hikers or walkers may also park on Wightman Road at the intersection with Brink Road and hike along the trail one mile to the site. Refreshments will be served after the ceremony.

M-NCPPC is erecting the historic plaque to mark the ruins of the water-powered grist mill, a business owned and operated by John Davis from1885 to 1901.

Volunteers from several groups recently gathered to clear the site and restore the mill foundations. These groups, including the Coalition for the Seneca Greenway, Goshen Historic Preservation Society, Goshen Civic Association, and the Goshen Mills Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will participate in the dedication ceremony.

A brochure on the history of the Davis Mill, prepared by the Goshen Historic Preservation Society, will be available at the ceremony.

For more information about the October 15 dedication, those interested may contact Susan Soderberg, 301-653-3405.