The Montgomery County Bicycle Master Plan created a vision for world-class bikeways throughout the county. This bikeway system will be an extensive network of well-planned, safe, and comfortable facilities that create an equitable transportation experience. It will connect people to the places they want to reach while elevating the personal and economic health of residents and communities.
The Bikeway Branding Project will develop a cohesive brand identity for the bikeway network through logos, fonts, and branding placement. It will also provide guidance on incorporating unique signage, banners, public art, or other distinctive elements, creating a sense of place along the routes, and expressing the unique character of each bikeway and / or neighborhood.
The Project aims to develop fabrication-ready design templates that can be produced and applied to any bikeway throughout the County.
Winter 2021-22– Project’s Kickoff
– Workshop with public stakeholders
– Develop the Brand Platform and Brand Identity Design
Summer 2022– Develop the Wayfinding Framework
– Develop the Kit of Parts Design for Neighborhood Greenways and Breezeways
Fall 2022– Public Presentation of the Brand
– Platform, Wayfinding Framework & Sign Program Design
– Pilot application of the Kit of Parts on one bikeway project
Spring 2023 and Beyond– Presentation to the Planning Board on the brand, wayfinding sign standards, and recommendations for implementation
– Demonstration of concepts in a pilot project
Fall 2023– North Bethesda pilot project demonstrating concepts and refining signage design standards