Silver Spring Downtown and Adjacent Communities Plan
Over the last 20 years, Silver Spring has transformed into a uniquely diverse and vibrant destination for retail, restaurants, offices, arts and entertainment. This evolution was set in motion by the 2000 Silver Spring Central Business District Sector Plan which envisioned a transit-oriented, green and pedestrian-friendly downtown with a strong commercial and residential development market.
Now, Montgomery Planning staff are building upon this success with the Silver Spring Downtown and Adjacent Communities Plan to help Silver Spring continue to be a regional destination for the next 20 years. Staff created the Plan’s recommendations using feedback from over 500 stakeholders who live, work or play in the community. This new Sector Plan will strengthen and celebrate what has made Silver Spring successful while setting forth a vision for its emerging areas.
NEW! The Planning Board Draft is currently being reviewed by the County Council. The County Council’s review process begins with work sessions at the Planning, Housing and Economic Development Committee and will be followed by a review with the full County Council.
After the County Council approves the Plan, both the Planning Board and County Council will review a Zoning Text Amendment (ZTA) to implement recommendations from the Plan. Read our Zoning Text Amendment FAQs to learn more about the process.
On February 1, 2022, Montgomery Planning staff issued a supplement to the Plan, including all Street Cross Sections, to the Montgomery County Council. View this supplement.
The Planning Board held a Public Hearing for the plan on December 2, 2021 (watch the recording), followed by work sessions for the plan on December 9, 16 and 23, 2021 and on January 6, 2022.
- Watch the recording of the Planning Board’s first work session on December 9 and view the presentation slides and the staff report.
- Watch the recording of the Planning Board’s second work session on December 16 and view the presentation slides and the staff report.
- Watch the recording of the Planning Board’s third work session on December 23 and view the presentation slides and the staff report.
- Watch the recording of the Planning Board’s fourth work session on January 6 and view the presentation slides and the staff report.
View the appendices of the Planning Board Draft below.
- Appendix A: Demographics
- Appendix B: Transportation
- Appendix C: Housing
- Appendix D: Parks
- Appendix E: Environment
- Appendix F: Visioning and Plan Development
- Appendix G: Engagement
- Appendix H: Existing Conditions Analysis