Ashton Village Center Sector Plan
The Ashton Village Center Sector Plan will evaluate land use, zoning, transportation, environment, design and other relevant issues in Ashton, a historic crossroads community east of Olney. This sector plan closely follows the 2015 Sandy Spring Rural Village Plan, which evaluated similar issues in the village of Sandy Spring, just west of Ashton. The Ashton Village Center Sector Plan will cover approximately 70 acres around the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and Olney-Sandy Spring Road (MD 108).
The planâ€™s primary focus will be a review of the Sandy Spring-Ashton Rural Village Overlay Zone in light of Montgomery Countyâ€™s recent comprehensive revision of its zoning ordinance. Zones applied through the revision have enabled finer-grained management of land uses, densities and building heights than was possible under the previous ordinance.
The Sandy Spring-Ashton Rural Village Overlay Zone was created to ensure a â€śvillage scaleâ€ť of development in the business districts of both Sandy Spring and Ashton. It limits uses, densities and building heights. The sector plan will reevaluate the overlay zone, as well as the current underlying zones in Ashton and recommend adjustments if needed to comply with the 2014 county zoning ordinance.
The Ashton Village Center Sector Plan will:
- Assess existing land use conditions.
- Evaluate the Rural Village Overlay Zone in the context of the new 2014 zoning code.
- Make recommendations for revising the overlay zone in response to community and landowner concerns.
- Maintain Ashtonâ€™s rural character.
- Involve residents and other stakeholders in the plan development and review processes.
- Develop recommendations to improve compliance with Vision Zero goals providing safe connections for all modes of transportation.
- Enhance opportunities to provide walkable, neighborhood-serving development.
News and Events
May 23, 2019: Planning staff will present the proposed Scope of Work for the Ashton Village Center Sector Plan to the Montgomery County Planning Board. The scope of work outlines the planning framework, development activity, master plan purpose, community outreach and plan schedule for the Ashton Village Center Sector Plan.
May 16, 2019: About 50 Ashton residents attended the Sector Planâ€™s Community Kick-off Meeting at the Sandy Spring Museum. Attendees heard a brief presentation from Area 3 Planners on the Planâ€™s goals, objectives, issues and outreach strategy, and then had an informal opportunity to highlight for the planning team their specific concerns about planning in their community. Take a look at the planning teamâ€™s PowerPoint presentation.