On March 20, 2012, the County Council approved the Kensington Sector Plan, which creates a long term planning framework for Kensington including a reinvigorated Town Center. This Plan updates the 1978 Town of Kensington and Vicinity Sector Plan, articulating the Kensington communities’ vision and guiding the area’s physical development over a 20-year period.
The new Plan generally retains existing densities, using mixed-used zones (Commercial Residential/Town and Commercial Residential/Neighborhood) to allow residential development along with commercial uses. The zones, which require developers to provide public benefits, will result in well-designed projects on livelier streets that include wide, tree-lined sidewalks, plazas and other gathering spaces, and opportunities to preserve neighborhood businesses.
The plan also recommends creating a village center near Kensington’s MARC station, with mixed-use development and open space for public gatherings.
View winning images from our 2009 Day in the Life of Kensington photo contest.
Kensington Sector Plan
Download the Planning Board draft of the Kensington Sector Plan [PDF] (pdf, 6.3 MB), which was revised in March 2011. The County Council approved the draft in March. View the Council resolution [PDF] (pdf, 1.5 MB) that approves the plan. View the plan appendix.
- March 20, 2012: County Council approves the Kensington Sector Plan
- December 5, 2011: PHED committee meeting
- December 1, 2011 / November 22, 2011: Chevy Chase View community meeting and presentation to the PHED committee
View presentation [PDF] (1.8 MB)
- July 28, 2011: Staff presents Draft Urban Design Guidelines to Planning Board
- July 25, 2011: Town of Kensington Council meeting on the proposed urban design guidelines
- June 9, 2011: Planning Board worksession and approval of Planning Board Draft
- June 2011: Planning Board transmits Planning Board Draft to Executive and Council
- May 12, 2011: Planning Board Worksession
View presentation [PDF]Â (3.5 MB) summarizing public hearing testimony
View presentation [PDF] (3.6 MB) on urban design framework
- April 28, 2011: Planning Board Public Hearing on revised Sector Plan
- March 28, 2011: Presentation to Kensington Town Council on revised zoning recommendations
View presentation [PDF] (1.6 MB)
- March 17, 2011: Planners presented Staff Draft of Sector Plan with revised zoning recommendations to the Planning Board and request a public hearing date
- July/September 2009: Planning Board work sessions
- July 9, 2009: Planning Board public hearing
View the public hearing draft of the Kensington Sector Plan [PDF] (pdf, 6 MB)
- May 21, 2009: Staff presents Sector Plan draft to Planning Board
View Sector Plan draft [PDF] (6 MB)
- April 16, 2009: Presentation of preliminary recommendations to the Planning Board
- March 19, 2009: Community Meeting [PDF] (pdf, 7.2MB)
Summary of meeting participantsâ€™ ideas, comments, questions and concerns.
- September 15, 2008: Discussion of Kensington Sector Plan Scope of Work [PDF] (pdf, 381KB) with Montgomery County Planning Board.